Monday, July 12, 2010

Freezer Jam!



Who knew freezer jam was so easy?

Not me! That's for sure! While at the grocery store today they had a GREAT deal on fresh fruit (BOGO) So we got a ton, Don't get me wrong between me and the kids I'm sure we will have no problem eating it but I decided I wanted to try and make jam. Why not right? Well, turns out its easy! There are recipes all over the internet and everywhere else for that matter but here is how I did it.




This is what you need:
  • 2 cups mashed fruit
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 1 package of pectin
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • Freezer jars
First thing you want to do is mash up 2 cups fruit. I used strawberries and blackberries. You can mash them with a potato masher or go the easy way like me and use a food processor. Once you have your two cups of mashed fruit add 4 cups of sugar to it. Mix it together and let it sit for 10 min. (The pectin I got was already a liquid so I didn't have to heat it or anything) Mix together the pectin and lemon juice and stir that into the fruit sugar mix. That was easy right? Now put the jelly in the freezer containers and let them sit at room temperature for 24hours. After 24 hours you can put the Jelly in the freezer where it is good for a year or in the fridge where it is good for 3 weeks. One batch filled up 5 little freezer containers.

Enjoy and good luck!

-Ally



**Update**

It turned out great and even picky pants herself loves it!




2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious and easy.. I'm all about easy! What are you all going to be blogging about? I would love some info on the sweet little dresses you make! Maybe I will pull out my bin of fabric and my sewing machine again... oh and how in the world do you make knee highs! I am in total envy here of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to do a sticker book tutorial tomorrow since I was looking for one and couldn't find one, and for sure I'm going to do a dress one. I totally forgot about knee socks! They are super easy! Let me know what you want to know how to make and I will make a tutorial. I'm having the baby next Thursday the 22nd so there will be some slow time there!

    ReplyDelete