Monday, September 5, 2011

The Year of the Bento!

Wow! It's been a while!

My daughter is starting the 1st grade this year, tomorrow to be exact!

Ok anyway on to the Bento! A few months ago I discovered the wonderful world of Bento. For some reason in the last month I have been completely obsessed! Bento lunches are super cute and since my daughter is picky well I figured why not!?

I have been researching and looking at all the bento supplies and finally broke down and bought some. Well of course I waited to long and they wont be here until the mail comes tomorrow and thats to late for the first day of school bento. I'm crafty so I decided I'd give it a try. When The mail comes tomorrow I will be getting some egg molds, little face shape cutters, sandwich cutters, and some alphabet cutters!!.....I can't find the link to the alphabet ones but they are just tiny little "cookie cutters". I still want to get lots of cute picks and some food markers but this will do for now.

Ok so here it is, my FIRST Bento!


As you can see it's nothing spectacular but it's a start. I made my own picks out of tooth pick and rhinestones and they turned out pretty cute. I might even hold off on buying picks if i can keep making my own. I saw the grape done like this on a differnt blog, I can't remember where but I thought it was super cute and well, kids love to eat off tooth picks!



I also have two bologna and cheese sandwiches held together with a tooth pick with a cut out that says "Roses are red, violets are blue, you're eating lunch and I'm thinking of you!" I just printed this out and used my 1inch hole punch to cut it out and then glued it to my toothpick. I stuck some rhinestone picks in to add some bling. I put in some cottage cheese with strawberries and for dessert some marshmallows and reece's pieces. I'm sure she won't eat it all but I had to pack some cheese in there to keep it from moving around to much in her bag.


I could not find a lunch box or bag that would fit her bento flat so i need to make sure I'm packing it tight. I put the lid on and turned it upside down and gave it a good shake and it didn't move. Yay! I used a ziplok container that I got in a two pack for a little under $3. I believe I got it at walmart. I also got some cute little containers that I plan to use for bento too in the .97 section they just started. I was looking online at the Easy Lunch Boxes and they are the same thing as the ziplock containers but they cost about $22 for a pack of 4. I'm WAY to cheap for that! These work just fine for us.

My two year old was pretty jealous that she wasn't getting a packed lunch so i made her one too.


I just used the left over cheese and bologna from the other bento and rolled them on some cute tooth picks. I didn't put a cute note in it because well 1. I will be home with her and 2. She can't read. But I'm sure she will love this and will more than likely demand one daily.



Well thats all for now. I'm going to try and blog daily from now on. I am going to be busy with work and my oldest is in dance and girl scouts. I forgot how much I like to blog and show off my stuff =)

Good night! and good luck putting your little ones on the bus!

**Ally**

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm Nicole from Romanian Princess. I saw your blog on a link up and decided I better add you! Please return the favor and follow me back at:

    www.romanianprincess.com!

    XoXo Nicole Mariana

    ReplyDelete